Sunday, August 8, 2010

End of Sha'ban


Here's wishing all a positive end to the month of Sha'ban and a great beginning to the month of Ramadan!



Imam al-Ridha(a.s) is reported as saying, “If one observes fasting on the last three days of Sha`ban and attach it to the obligatory fasting of Ramadan, Almighty Allah will reward him as if he has observed fasting for two consecutive months.”

Imam al-Sadiq (a.s) used to say the following supplication at the last night of Sha`ban and the first night of Ramadhan:

In the name of Allah the Beneficent, the Merciful.
O` Allah! This is the blessed month in which was revealed Quran a guidance for men-kind and clear evidence of guidance and discrimination (of the right from the wrong) is being witnessed by us. You therefore keep us healthy in it and keep us sound in our faith in it and accept it from us in a state of prosperity and health granted to us by You.

O` Allah! I ask You to provide me with a way towards all good and keep me away from all that You likes not- O` the Most Merciful!

O` Who forgave me and forgave me all my misdeeds committed secretly.

O` Who punished me not for my disobedience! Your forgiveness. Your forgiveness! Your forgiveness!

O` the Generous! O` my Allah! You did admonish me but I responded not, You did chide but I cared not for it, what excuse have I now?

Pardon me O` the Generous! Your pardon! Your Pardon!

O` Allah! I beseech you for ease at the time of my death and forgiveness at the time of reckoning (on the day of resurrection). Sins of Your slave are great (in number) but forgiveness from You should serve my purpose well. O` the One deserving to be feared and fitted to pardon. Your pardon! Your Pardon!

O` Allah! I am Your bondman son of Your bondman and son of Your slave girl, I am weak and stand in need of Your Mercy. You are Omnipotent and Mighty. You have reckoned their deeds and accordingly distributed to them their livelihood and made them creation after creation of different languages and colours.

The People know not what You know and esteem You not with the estimation due to You and all of us stand in need of Your mercy- “Turn not You Your face away from us and ordain in Your decree to make me among Your creature virtuous in deeds and hopes.

O` Allah! Keep me alive to live the life of righteousness and cause me to die the best death in a state of love (in my heart) towards Your friends and in a state of enmity towards Your enemies and with a desire to meet you and fearing You and with humility and fulfilling the promise and submitting to Your will, testifying Your Book and following the life-pattern of Your Messenger.

O` Allah! Remove from my heart any doubt, disbelief, disappointment, in intoxication, conceit insolence, vanity, show, desire from fame, disagreement, hypocrisy, infidelism, transgression, disobedience, pride or any thing that You love not.

I therefore ask You to grant me faith (Eeman) according to Your promise and inspire me to fulfil Your promise and pleasure to willingly accept Your decree and piety (ascetism) in the world and a desire of that which is with you (good) impression, mental tranquility and sincere-penitence. I ask You O` Lord! of the Worlds.

O` my Allah! disobedience to You is due to Your forbearence, and obedience is due to Your generosity and magnanimity as if You were never disobeyed. I and he who never disobeyed are the dwellers of Your earth. You therefore with Your grace pardon me and invite us to You with Your goodness. O` the Most Merciful! And bestow on Mohammad and his progeny Your everlasting and unlimited blessings which neither could be reckoned nor appreciated by any one except You. O` the Most Merciful!

O` Allah! Send Your Blessings on Mohammad and his progeny, Ameen.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for posting this quote by Imam Reza (as). I used to be a traditional Sunni and from their prespective one should NOT fast the last 2 days of Sha'ban. They should not join Sha'ban with Ramadan least they start to think Sha'ban is also obligatory. My husband told me this was not true for Shi'a but didn't offer me any proof.
    Also this du'a is sublime. I never heard about saying a du'a on the beginning of Ramadan. God bless our Imams (as)who give us the best of guidance from Allah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment! There are so many dua'as for the month of Ramadan, there is one for sighting the moon ones for every night of the month - insha'allah I'll be posting more on those later but if you go to http://www.duas.org you can see.

    I wish you the best month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thank Allah for giving me the best of the best which is our Beloved Imams(as).Thank you Sis.Masooma for posting these dua's and insights and the sister who stated about fasting the last days of Shaban, we both have proof now...Allhamdullilah!

    ReplyDelete